Probate Court: 740.283.8593    |    Juvenile Court: 740.283.8557

Minor Settlement

When a child under the age of eighteen receives money or other property of value – such as an inheritance from an estate, proceeds from a life insurance policy, a settlement of a personal injury claim, or a wrongful death settlement – the probate court must approve the settlement of the minor’s claim or right to receive the property.

Minor settlements are filed for claims of any amount. However, if the net amount to be received by the minor exceeds $25,000.00, the applicant will need to file both a guardianship and a minor settlement.

The Court requires several documents to be filed in minor settlement cases.


Probate Court Records Search

Important Forms

Forms for the Probate Court are available online. Click here for more.